Exchange 2003 Move Mailbox Error

I've been migrating mailboxes from one Exchange 2003 server to another recently.  One particular mailbox wouldn't move at all.  In fact, this was the only one that wouldn't.  Examining the mailbox move wizard XML logs revealed the following entry:

The MAPI call failed. MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000

Not exactly the most descriptive error I've ever seen.  I tried all sorts of troubleshooting techniques, such as running ISINTEG on the source database and setting the "skip corrupted items" migration setting to the maximum of 100 but none of those worked.  After a bit of research, it turns out that the issue was to do with mailbox sizes.  The mailbox being moved was just over 50MB in size, with the target mailbox store having a 'prohibt send and receive' setting of 50MB.  To prove the size theory, I created a temporary mailbox store without any size limits and successfully moved the mailbox to it.  I then temporarily allowed this mailbox to have an unlimited mailbox size and then successfully moved it to the database with the 50MB limit.

At this point in time I'm not entirely sure if this problem should be fixed in Exchange 2003 SP2, since although the target server is Exchange 2003 SP2, the source server is Exchange 2003 SP1.  I'm therefore not sure if the source server's SP level affects things.

Account Deleted on July 20, 2007 at 06:22 AM in Useful Info
« Removing Exchange 2007 Update Rollup 3 | Main | Vamsoft Releases ORF Enterprise Edition 4.0 »

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8345191a569e200e550343e628834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Exchange 2003 Move Mailbox Error:

» 8 Random Things from subject: exchange
Im pretty sure that since the beginning of this blog I only wrote posts strictly related to Exchange [Read More]

Tracked on Jul 21, 2007 5:25:20 AM

Comments

I think the issue is that the client is using outlook 2007. We have seen this error where it leaves a Stub on the old exchange 2003 server, and there is a new stub on the new mail server. To fix the problem, move the user back to the old server it will fail and delete the stub. Is this the error you are getting?
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ExchangepediaBlog/~3/136639643/move-mailbox-issue-disconnected-mailbox.html

Posted by: Murray Wall at Jul 24, 2007 12:40:36 PM

Err, no, the error I was getting in the XML file is pasted into the blog post. The mailbox didn't move from what I can remember and as I said, it appeared to be because the mailbox was over the size limit of the target store. Once I removed the mailbox limits, it moved straight away.

Posted by: Neil Hobson at Jul 25, 2007 7:35:14 AM

Great one , solved my problem !

Posted by: Reyer van Wegen at Jan 20, 2008 1:32:56 PM

Thank you! This is the first time I've actually been able to find a solution to this problem. We usually end up having to exmerge the accounts. This is a lifesaver. :)

Posted by: Pamela Auble at Jun 5, 2008 4:10:16 PM

I suspect that you are trying to move the mailbox on server that Outlook is installed.If it is correct , uninstall outlook.
Other reason .
The user mailbox may be corrupted. Then , export mailbox to PST> delete mailbox from server > recreate mailbox> and import data back

Posted by: Gil at Jul 15, 2008 12:17:08 PM

Thank You very much. It's funny how something so simple could cause me so many headaches.

Posted by: Ryan at Apr 14, 2009 8:38:17 AM

Still happens with SP2. This seems to have worked, though. The move process is pretty fickle. I had the best luck just moving 3 or 4 mailboxes at a time.

Posted by: Sean at Nov 2, 2009 5:02:17 AM

Thanks. At first I was looking into viruses / virusscanner issues, but size limits were indeed the culprit.

Posted by: Scott Parisi at Aug 11, 2010 12:56:06 AM

Wow. I had thought to increase the database size limit before moving mailboxes, but did not think to check the mailbox limits. Thank you!

Posted by: DuckR1 at Nov 20, 2011 1:45:27 AM